The village lies two miles east of the city of Bath and has a population of around 1800. The River Avon and the Kennet and Avon Canal pass through the village.
Bathampton is linked to nearby Batheaston by a toll bridge.
Plasticine was manufactured in the village between 1900 and 1983, by a company founded by William Harbutt, who also lived in Bathampton.
The village used to have a railway station, but it was closed in 1966.